Everyone is an Athlete, Deserving a Massage

Sports massage is the application of appropriate massage techniques for athletes to improve performance. Actually, according to Sandy Fritz, a massage therapist with over 35 years of experience serving the athletic community states “(there) is no such thing as ‘sports massage’- only appropriate massage application for each client.”(1)  “We are all athletes in some form,”(1) therefore, any massage techniques used to enhance physical movement for any client may be considered “sports massage.”  
Bear with me while I get technical for a moment; appropriate massage techniques for athletes consists of the “application of mechanical force to stimulate the neuroendocrine/neuromuscular systems to affect myofascial structure and function, to assist fluid movement, and to support homeostasis.”(1) Sounds complicated, but what it means is my job, as the massage therapist, is to serve athletes by manipulating the systems of the body responsible for the hormones and muscles/nerves responsible for movement. The purpose of the manipulation is to aid in athletic performance, injury prevention, and recovery. “Sports massage” is also highly beneficial for any minor injury recovery as well, aiding the body in its journey towards homeostasis, or the body’s happy place.  
A “sports massage” for a retiree who gardens for much of their time may consist of relaxing the back and legs while also helping strengthen the arms and release any carpel tunnel syndrome symptoms. A “sports massage” for a baseball player may include releasing any tension in the rotator cuff or stretching the legs. A “sports massage” for a single mother trying to stay healthy may consist of supportive, gentle movements to aid in emotional support. All these massage techniques, among others, I have done for every type of athlete I encounter.  
At the beginning of every massage, sports or not, I always inquire as to how the client is doing and what is going on with them, this is the time for clients to tell me what exactly they expect from the massage, whether that is decreasing soreness, improving their running stride, or recovering from a strenuous walk. Communication is one of the most critical parts of the massage, I know I say this a lot, but I am not the one on the table, I am not the one who will walk away from the table living with the results for days if not weeks after. I sincerely want every one of my clients to reap the full benefits from their massage, which is why I continuously check in with the client to ensure a positive experience, if the massage is not living up to expectations I want to know and will alter in order to provide my client with what they were seeking.  
The benefits of a customized “sports massage” are limitless and depend on what the customization entails. There are general benefits, though, that are worth mentioning. A “sports massage” within 48 hours after an exercise reduces delayed onset muscle soreness, “a common result of physical activity that stresses the muscle tissue beyond what it is accustomed to.”(2) The manual manipulation of soft tissue increases the flow of fluid through the body: blood and lymph. This movement will help the body flush out lactic acid, the chemical responsible for sore muscles. Warming tissues, as massage usually does, is effective at relieving pain and associated muscle spasm and tension. Also, warming can aid flexibility, preventing injuries and enhancing athletic performance. Reduction of inflammation from an injury can bring the body back into homeostasis through lymphatic drainage massage. 
Weekly massage for athletes is what is recommended to prevent injury and enhance athletic performance. As I stated earlier, everyone who moves is an athlete in some capacity, therefore, whether you go for walks once a week or have joined a sports league, massage therapy, with a specific focus on your physical activity, can help. If you believe I can help you and are interested in making an appointment, please call Grand Junction Chiropractic Center, PC at (970)241-1199, if you have any questions, please feel free to email me at lizzross@massagetherapy.com  

(1) Fritz, S. (2005). Sports and Exercise Massage: Comprehensive Care in Athletics, Fitness, and Rehabilitation. Elsevier Mosby.  
(2) Sarnataro, B.R. (2003). “Sore Muscles? Don’t Stop Exercising.” WebMD. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What kind of massage should you ask for?

Understanding Deep Tissue Massage

Posture and Our Health